Friday, October 5, 2012

A Salute to Chipper

When I was just entering my teens Chipper Jones began his MLB career with the Braves.  At the time the Braves were the best team in the NL and had a brilliant pitching staff and exciting hitters.  They were my favorite team outside of the Tigers for two reasons:

1) John Smoltz was from nearby Waverly and Michigan State
2) they won

I stumbled across my Chipper Topps Rookie this summer and remember what an exciting time it was for baseball. It is remarkable that he stuck with the Braves for his entire career.

Speaking of rookies.  I am really enjoying the 2012 Topps Heritage Minors set.  I purchased the entire Tigers farm system, notably Nick Castellanos and Avisail Garcia.  In addition, I picked up Jurickson Profar and Gerrit Cole, along with the Lansing Lugnuts' (Toronto Low A) two stars.  Not only is this set fun, but it is stacked with future stars: Machado, Bundy, Profar, etc.



Just as Chipper's career provided promise, these cards provide the same type of emotion.  These guys are (hopefully, please) the future of your favorite team and carry on that tradition that you cherish the most of that team.

My wife and I are headed to Game 1 of Tigers v Oakland tomorrow and we are equally geeked for the experience.  But equally exciting is to take a look at players coming up like Castellanos and Avi, man, I hope they play their whole careers with the Tigers.

Thank you Chipper!



No comments:

Post a Comment