Monday, September 2, 2013

The SuperCollector in ME!


My collection as most people reading this blog know, centers around the Detroit Tigers.  I have taken great pride in collecting each team set over the past year.

Individual Player - Alan Trammell

Number 3 was my favorite player as a kid.  1984 World Series MVP, great shortstop, good dude.  I believe my mother rented the 1984 highlight video and I would relive the moment time and again as a young fan.  To make the story greater he had an equally outstanding second baseman in Lou Whitaker that made a unbelievable duo for almost two decades.  Trammell's career spanned my entire adolescence and there is nothing to me like finding a new Trammell.

In my collection, I have 250 different cards.

1/1 - One (a dual auto w/ Miguel Cabrera on the back!)


This card is the only one that resides outside of the main collection as it sits alongside our wedding announcement frame, a couple of antiques, some awards from college, a fitting tribute for the two greatest Tigers of MY lifetime.

Autos - Five



Memorabilia Cards: Four



Starting Lineups: Two (need some upgrading)

Graded: Two (including a 7 PSA Rookie Card)




Team - Detroit Tigers

By the numbers, I am sitting at 7,492 Detroit Tigers.  There is no doubt the last several years of success the Tigers have endured more than likely got me back in the habit of collecting.

Two cards that stand out to me within my collection are the 1910 Standard Caramel Jim Delehenty

2013 Topps 1/1 Black Printing Plate of Avisail Garcia RC -- no longer a Motown Kitty, but my favorite new rookie --- 2010 #1 pick Nick Castellanos will have to do in meantime.


A FrankenSet of Tigers in order from 1 - 802 (so far only 67% complete)

I have three of these binders, my LCS won't part with them
42 Autographs (9 #/d including 5- Alan Trammell,  2- Denny McLain, 2- Willie Horton, and Ernie Harwell.

Memorabilia Cards: 38 (when did these things start coming out, I think the earliest one I have is a 2000ish Carlos Pena Upper Deck)

Of all my players in my collection, the top 50 are individual players --- I have at least 40 cards each ---  who played for the Tigers. Ken Griffey, Jr is the first non-Tiger to hit my top 100 at 40 cards.  Griffey Jr was my favorite player of all time that did not wear No.3 (wait I think he did for the dreaded pale hose)

Seven 3,200 count boxes with organized by year and team set, all cards in top loaders. I guess one of these boxes holds about 1,500-1,600 cards in this fashion.

My Card Corner :
Four boxes across the table and the middle row has three more
A 1,600 count box with refractors, mem cards, autos, team set rack packs, cards that need completed team sets. Another 1,600 count box with odds and ends of cards that organized by year need team sets to be completed about 3/4 full. Finally a 3,200 & 1,600 count boxes of dupes (Tigers fans please trade with me!)

My only other graded card --- that also is my only GEM 10, is a Brandon Inge/Joe Crede Fleer RC

Two Tigers binders from 1995-2002 most from the Spectacular Spend (starting to bite me) and another binder of all my Trammell dupes.

Other items of interest: Ty Cobb black & white picture, Justin Verlander "Fastball Flakes", two Autograph baseballs of Tigers team, Bless You Boys book by Sparky Anderson on the 1984 season, several T-Shirts, Magglio Ordonez jersey, scorecards, rally towel from 2012 ALDS Game 3, ticket stubs, rain check tickets, among others.


By no means does the quantity come close to any of the Super Collections mentioned in the Beckett, but the quality to me makes this Super Slick to me.

I love baseball, I love the Tigers, collecting brings me closer to each one.  Another thing that collecting for me is keeps a running history of the team, the highs and lows, the greats, the great hopes, and the bums.

Please share you Super Collections this month and enter the Hot Corner Contest here.

Keep it Hot on the Corner, pat.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Super Collection! Love the FrankenSet idea and all the cards in top loaders. It shows you care about your entire collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection..Do you have the 1978 Burger King set? I recently acquired it... my Tiger highlights: I also have the Bless You Boys book..Also have Ernie Harwell signed book. card wise.. Mickey Lolich RC, Virgil Trucks signed card, John Smoltz Lakeland Tigers card, Mark Fidrych Hostess RC, also have cards from playing days of Hal Newhouser and George Kell(but not Tigers)..Miguel Cabrera topps traded RC and my pride and joy is Cabby's 00 Topps Traded auto (even though with Marlins)

    ReplyDelete